Low Income Household Water Assistance Program
Do you need help paying for overdue water and wastewater bills?
LIHWAP benefits are based on the actual amount of drinking water and/or wastewater arrears, up to a macimum of $2500 per drinking water or wastewater provider, or $5000 if drinking water and wastewater services are combined, per household. Benefits are paid directly to the household's drinking water and/or wastewater vendor(s).
Eligibility and benefits are based on:
- Household size;
- Household includes a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or qualified alien and
- amount owed to drinking water and/or wastewater prvider(s).
Primary applicants must provide:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of residence
- Documentation of earned and unearned income
- A drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater bill listing their permanent and primary residence
- A valid Social Security Number (SSN)
- SSNs of additional household members may be requested
For more information, visit https://otda.ny.gov/LIHWAP
November 17, 2021